Excellent Science Days 2.0 – Call for Participants
October 23rd – 25th, 2017, Wrocław (Poland)
Academia Europaea Knowledge Hub Wrocław, Polish Academy of Sciences, Wrocław Research Centre EIT+ and Wrocław University of Technology invite young scholars (Ph.D. and postdocs), to take part in the Excellent Science Days 2.0, Wrocław (Poland).
CONTEXT AND RATIONALE:
The major objective of the Excellent Science Days is to promote excellence across Europe through strengthening the potential of young researchers from Central and Eastern Europe to become scientific competitors on European Research and Cooperation Programmes (i.e. ERC, COST, FET, Marie Curie) and enhance their capability to successfully submit the research manuscripts to top level journals in natural sciences.
The event will comprise two parts:
- 1.5 day lasting workshop dedicated to „good scientific writing”
- 1 day lasting workshop dedicated to “proposal writing”
To make this event as productive as possible, this closed workshop (upon recruitment) will be provided for selected 25 researchers with some, proven already skills such as scientific independence, group leading and carrying research grants (National, EU).
- “good scientific writing” part:
- What makes a Nature paper? Examples of what top tier journals look for in a manuscript
- Practical exercise (with abstracts): You’re the editor, make a decision
- Elements of style – first steps when creating a paper: designing clear and informative figures and tables
- Practical exercise: effective graphs and figures
- Elements of writing style: Golden rules of writing and structuring the text
- Paper elements: guide to structuring each part of the paper
- Peer review, editorial decision letters and dealing with referee reports
- Writing exercises
- “proposal writing” part:
- Providing information on ERC application and evaluation process
- Describing the structure of an ERC proposal
- Defining the concept of scientific excellence of researcher and research idea
- Providing information on ERC reference documentation and ethics issues
- Practical exercises related to ERC proposal: writing a good abstract, structuring the proposal, presenting scientific achievements, planning and calculating the budget in ERC projects
APPLICATION/REQUIREMENTS: Submit by September 17, 2017:
- full curriculum vitae
- full list of publications (with number of citations and the impact factor)
- full list of all grants (national, international) in which you have participated
- 300-word proposal of your article
All applicants will be notified about the selection of participants before September 24, 2017.
WORKSHOP LANGUAGE will be English.
FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS: Attendance to the activities is free, but registration is required at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The organizers will provide workshops materials and will cover coffee breaks and lunches. Discount prices for the hotel booking (to be paid by attendees) will be provided. Travelling is not reimbursed.
SCIENTIFIC AND ORGANISING COMMITTEE:
- Artur Bednarkiewicz (YAE Member; Institute of Low Temperature and Structure Research, PAS, Wrocław Research Centre EIT+, Wrocław, Poland; MC of COST European Upconversion Network)
- Sabina Górska (Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, PAS)
- Aleksandra Nowak (Academia Europaea Knowledge Hub, Wrocław, Poland)
- Katarzyna Majkowska (Academia Europaea Knowledge Hub, Wrocław, Poland)
- Arkadiusz Wójs (Wrocław University of Technology)
- Liesbeth Venema (Senior Editor, Nature Research, Springer Nature)
- Bart Verberck (Senior Editor, Nature Research, Springer Nature)
- Ewa Kuśmierczyk (Exellence in Science Department of the Polish Academy of Sciences)
- Marta Kowol (Exellence in Science Department of the Polish Academy of Sciences)
All correspondence must be addressed to Katarzyna Majkowska: email@example.com
Download Call for participants here.